Computer numerical control (CNC) is a very convenient and efficient manufacturing technique that utilizes computer-programmed machines and tools to design a wide variety of materials and items. Such items are often produced with incredible precision in mind so that each item emerges from the machine exactly how it was intended to be made. The same goes for individual parts or tools that a CNC machine can design. Many of these items are used in industries where precision must be second-to-none, such as aviation and aerospace.
These are some of the most common items that can be produced by a CNC machine:
- Wooden chairs with rustic flair to go on your patio or inside your cottage in the western United States
- Wood or metal plaques engraved with someone’s name, organization, and accomplishments to proudly hang on the wall
- Wood or metal ornaments and decorations to hang up around your house at the holidays – or to put on your Christmas tree
- Auto parts used in the inner workings of a car to help the vehicle function properly
- Aviation parts used within the inner-workings of an airplane to ensure it functions properly and is handled by a pilot with ease
Steel aerospace parts for a shuttle, such as a steel part used to support the outer base of the spacecraft
- Prototypes for certain products, such as a prototype of a wooden figurine with the goal of mass-producing it
- Metal pieces used within an the inner-workings of a smartphone
- Plastic pieces designed to support the outer layer of a portable, battery-powered AM/FM radio
- Legs used to support a large, wooden computer desk
- Wooden napkin holders to hold everyone’s napkins for your Thanksgiving dinner
- Wooden cooking spoons to help you stir up the chicken soup in the pot on the stove
- Plastic parts of a kitchen blender to help you mix up some adult beverages for your next house party
Because CNC offers such precise cutting and manipulation capabilities, it’s easy to say that almost any item made of wood, metal, aluminum, alloys, and other various materials can be either fully constructed or improved on by using a CNC machine. Whether it’s a CNC mill, a CNC plasma cutter, or a CNC water jet cutter, there are numerous CNC machines that offer all types of production techniques to fit any budget and manufacturing needs. This is why CNC machines are found in both private homes and in large production centers.